17 replies to this topic

#1 SciFi Avenger

SciFi Avenger

It's all about the SciFi baby!!

• Admins
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

SG1stargate.jpg

According to Stargate: SG-1 executive producer Robert C. Cooper, plans are in the works for a third series based on the franchise. The working title for the possible series is Stargate: Universe. Originally, the "Universal" idea was intended to be a feature film, but then the showrunners realized that the door was wide open for a third series to be prepped for television. And, as opposed to spin-off series Stargate: Atlantis, Cooper intends this one to be a "completely seperate, third entity."

"When we originally were sitting around talking about this, we were trying to come up with ideas for a Stargate feature -- not an 'SG-1' feature or [a 'Stargate: Atlantis'] feature, but a feature that would fit into the Stargate franchise that we feel we have created," Cooper said. "We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very much something that stands alone?' When it became clear that a third series was a more realistic possibility from the studio's standpoint, we figured out how to tweak that idea and give it a little more legs than it would have had as a one-off story," he said. "We always, in the back of our minds even in coming up with that concept, felt that it could launch a third series. But now that idea has become the core idea for the new show."

Though he's not revealing many details yet about the new show, Cooper did say that it won't be a prequel. And, while it will "play into the mythology that has been pre-established, . . . it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series." Cooper and executive producer Brad Wright should get a chance to work on a pilot script this summer, after principal photography wraps up on Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum.

Posted Image

"Today is a good day for coffee"

#2 Rob Frontuto

Rob Frontuto

BC-304 Daedalus - Stargate

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

This series will revolve around the 9th Chevron :D

#3 Rogue Entity

Rogue Entity

Resident Dragon

• Admins
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

This series will revolve around the 9th Chevron :D

I heard that alright.. maybe they will also introduce/reveal the Furlings, or go into more detail on the Gadmeer, a technologically advanced race that was wiped out around the same time the ancients abandoned Atlantis. They are presumably reborn on that planet they terraformed, but they were not elaborated on.

This all sounds interesting, so it should make for interesting speculation once the movies are done.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

#4 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

If the 8th chevron is used to dial to another galaxy then what is the 9th used for? To dial to another universe?

#5 Rob Frontuto

Rob Frontuto

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

If the 8th chevron is used to dial to another galaxy then what is the 9th used for? To dial to another universe?

IMO, that would be too easy of a guess. I think it may possibly revolve around time travel since the Stargate has the ability for that and Earth/Atlantis have not been able to harness that means of travel.

#6 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

Time travel might be interesting. It would be like Stargate meets Quantum Leap.

#7 Rob Frontuto

Rob Frontuto

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Time travel might be interesting. It would be like Stargate meets Quantum Leap.

It is an interesting idea, I'm just not sure people would respond too well to it week after week. If they do make the series about time travel, I suspect we may see episode arcs spanning several eps, instead of an "adventure of the week" sort of story.

#8 EDM Trekker

EDM Trekker

Space Shuttle - NASA

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

If 8 chevrons needed a naqahdah generator, then 9 must require about half a dozen ZPMs to run, especially for time travel. What if that made it end up as a Being John Malkovitch type of device?
Posted Image Eric

#9 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

It is an interesting idea, I'm just not sure people would respond too well to it week after week. If they do make the series about time travel, I suspect we may see episode arcs spanning several eps, instead of an "adventure of the week" sort of story.

To be honest I like the different universe idea but I wouldn't complain if it turned out to be about time travel.

#10 Rob Frontuto

Rob Frontuto

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

From Wikipedia:
"A leaked document written in October 2007 revealed that the show may take place on an Ancient ship sent on a voyage thousands of years ago to explore the distant universe. The ninth chevron links the stargate directly to this ship. The Ancients ascended before the ship could be put to use and it has been travelling ever since. The document indicated that the idea had not yet been pitched to any networks, so the plot may have since changed."

#11 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Now that is different! I wonder if the ship when they gate to it would be thousands of years in the past. Or if it is drifting way out in the universe after thousands of years.

#12 Rob Frontuto

Rob Frontuto

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

Now that is different! I wonder if the ship when they gate to it would be thousands of years in the past. Or if it is drifting way out in the universe after thousands of years.

Well, Cooper says it is set in present day and did stress that fact.

#13 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

True but if they get to gate back home at the end of the day they would gate back to the present. But when they gate out to the ship then it would be in the past, if the ship was in the past. LoL I dunno.
Either way I hope the series gets off the ground.

#14 Qray

Qray

Hammer Head - Space Above and Beyond

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

The series (Stargate Universe) was officially greenlighted by the Scifi Channel last August and is suppose to begin production soon. Has anyone heard anything about the new production?

The experiment was "to send a ship across the universe, and to send one ahead of it to seed the galaxies with Stargates, and that they would one day use the ninth chevron to get there [to the ship]. And that's what Stargate Universe is."

From the Scifi Channel...
What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

#15 CiCi

CiCi

She Who Has Survived

• Admins
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

I haven't heard anything new about it.

#16 Rising Sun

Rising Sun

Space Shuttle - NASA

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

From what I've read, this series is going to be fantastic.

#17 Qray

Qray

Hammer Head - Space Above and Beyond

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

There was a short trailer for Stargate Universe that aired during the last two hour series finale of BSG. It looked really good, but also very unSG-like.

#18 rottensoilder

rottensoilder

Farscape 1 - Farscape

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Time travel?
might be interesting